To control each separate unit and to enable the provision of reserve power from smaller-scale units, Next Kraftwerke has developed the Next Box. The Next Box can be connected to all common generation units and demand processes. Most importantly: it is a proven technology that is successfully operating since several years, connecting more than 4000 units of various technologies. The control procedure is worked out jointly with the plant owner, who stays in full control over his assets at all times.
How the Next Box works
The Next Box connects the systems in the Next Pool with our control system. The connection works bidirectionally:
- The Next Box sends information on the operation of the remote unit to the control system
- Though the Next Box, the control system chan can start up, shut down or change the production or consumption of the units
Data communication takes place over a GPRS connection, which is established via a SIM card
- The data is encrypted directly in the Next box
- At the access point, the SIM cards must be authenticated so that they can join the closed user group
- The SIM cards do not have any access to the Internet, which makes data transmission even more secure
- Once it is in our control system, the data is decrypted
The Next Box is individually configured for the type of system. Where available, district heating, gas or water storage, and any timetable restrictions are programmed, so that the unit can always operate under optimal conditions both technically and economically.
A peek under the hood
The basic configuration of the Next Box consists of three elements: PLC, modem and antenna
- PLC (Programmable Logic Controller): A small computer, which processes and encrypts the raw operating data of the installation.
- Modem: Provides a communications link between the remote unit and the control system.
- Antenna: Amplifies the signal reception and can be located up to 15 m from the Next Box if necessary, for example, on the roof of a building.
Once the Next Box is installed at your installation, it becomes part of the Next Pool, our Virtual Power Plant. It can now send all the data, that forms the basis for calculating the optimum way it should be operated, directly to our control system.